Recently, we caught up with Sandeep Singhal, the Managing Director at Nexus Venture Partners, a venture capital firm that has offices in Silicon Valley, Mumbai, and Bengaluru to pick his brain about his investment thesis. Some of the key insights he shared with us include:
- His investment thesis when it comes to investing in startups
- Cross-border technologies where Indian startups are looking to go global and/or US startups looking for a significant market in India
- Domestic consumption in sectors like retail, healthcare, education,
- The three things he looks for in a startup before investing
- The team behind the startup; people with passion, sales capability, and adaptability
- The market size
- The USP of the startup for the long term, that would help the startup to stay ahead of the curve
- The fourth – most important – capital efficiency
- His thoughts on Early Stage investments vs Series A investments as he head into 2017
- 2017 is a good year to invest, because entrepreneurs are more circumspect in building their business
- The learnings he took away from a down market
- The hot new sectors to invest in 2017
An alumnus of The Wharton School MBA program and Stanford University, Sandeep Singhal is currently the Managing Director at Nexus Venture Partners, a venture capital firm that has offices in Silicon Valley, Mumbai, and Bengaluru. In his previous role, he was co-founder and CEO of Medusind Solutions, a healthcare outsourcing company, and the co-founder of eVentures India, a leading venture firm focused on early stage ventures in India. Having been a successful entrepreneur earlier in his career, he has the advantage of having been on both sides of the startup-investor ecosystem. He is on the Board of TiE Mumbai, and is also actively involved with the Entrepreneurs Organization and the Wharton and Stanford India Alumni Associations. He has invested in several earlier ventures, which have had successful exits, like CustomerAsset, Mentorix Solutions, Intigma, and MakeMyTrip.
Nexus Venture Partners is a known venture capital firm in the startup-investment ecosystem. They partner with ‘exceptional entrepreneurs in the US and India.’ The team behind the venture capital firm comprises of ex-entrepreneurs who have decades of experience in building and funding globally leading companies. Some of their investments till date include Altruist, Arkin, Biz2Credit, cloud.com, CloudByte, Craftsvilla, Delhivery, druva, eKa, GenWi, headspin, Housing, kirusa, LogicHub, MapmyIndia, OLX, PubMatic, runnr, ShopClues.com, snapdeal, Stayzilla.com, TinyOwl, Zolo to name a few.