When was the last time you had a conversation with a VC, a government head or an angel investor? The keyword being conversation, not pitching your startup. You don’t have to answer. We thought it would be a great idea to sit down with industry influencers for a quick chat on their views of the Indian startup ecosystem and where it’s heading, especially in 2017. Tweet to @letsventurein with your thoughts 🙂
In this video, Abheek gives his insights on key issues like:
- What the investment trends are going to be like in 2017
- How entrepreneurs are chasing growth for the sake of it and not for funding
- How founders have matured over the years and have started focusing on the right metrics
- How VCs and angel investors can work harmoniously during the Early Stage Investment period
- How people across the value chain have matured and want to do the RIGHT thing for the business
- Hottest sectors that Sequoia is interested in 2017
- How Sequoia wants to partner with startups
- How the quality of founders is an important factor while investing
Abheek Anand, a Stanford Graduate School of Business alumnus, is an early stage investor at Sequoia Capital. Completing an engineering degree in computer science at IIT Delhi, he went on to pursue masters in the same field from the University of Maryland College Park. Given this educational background, Abheek has seen both sides of a technology business – the services side as well as the products side, which gives him a unique viewpoint. Additionally, he has worked in the heart of Silicon Valley in companies like Facebook and VMware, which need no introduction.
Sequoia Capital is one of the bigger names in the VC industry, having backed numerous companies through the years. In short, it has backed companies that now control $1.4 trillion of the combined stock market value globally. Currently in India, it has invested in companies like BankBazaar, BYJU’s, Café Coffee Day, Cardekho, Citrus Payment, Craftsvilla, DailyHunt, Faasos, Freecharge, Grabhouse, Grofers, JustDial, Micromax, Mobikwik, Nearbuy, Oyo Rooms, OlaCabs, Practo, Runnr, TinyOwl, Truecaller, Urban Ladder, Voonik, Zomato, Zoomcar et al to name a few prominent ones.
We hope you enjoyed this episode. Let us know if you have any questions or comments. Stay tuned for more.